Monday, March 17, 2008

The Dismal Science Strikes Again

From Globalisation and the Environment today:

What is the impact of foreign direct investment in developing countries? Inquiring minds - at least mine - really want to know, but this abstract is such a tease. Still, at the moment, I'd rather spend my $32 some other way, so I'll have to check for it in JStor.

As a side note though, does he not have a subscription either? I understand not reprinting the article in its entirety, but how about some analysis for those of us who can't read it?

Changing topics, but still from G&E, it appears we will all starve to death in the next couple of years, since as it is no one can afford corn, and now wheat is being wiped out. Now, since I know that this second article will undoubtedly lead to an outlash at GMO foods, I'd like to point out two things:

  1. this fungus is attacking many varieties (plural) of wheat,
  2. it, or at least wheat fungus in general, is not a new problem.
Would 'heritage breeds' be more resistant? My thought is no. Don't get me wrong, I love eating heritage breeds - much tastier generally - but they are NOT the end-all to our food problems.

No comments: